Friday, February 15, 2013

The NEXT Next Big Thing

{I've been tagged a couple times and already answered some questions about my next book of poems, girl show, due out this fall a couple weeks back.  Since I also have a collection of prose pieces coming out even sooner, and I need to start thinking of ways of talk about the book from a marketing perspective, I thought I would give it another pass.  Since I've already tagged some people in my first one, I'm going to issue a general tag to all my upcoming dgp authors, to talk about their projects.}


What is the working title of the book?

the shared properties of water and stars

Where did the idea come from for the book?

There are a number of things that created the sort of inspirational soup from which the storyline of this project developed, including marathons of American Horror Story, my love of Gregory Crewdson’s photography, a simultaneous fascination and aversion of logic/story problems, and a love of fairytales and animal myths/fables.  I started writing with an eye toward developing an overlapping narrative between several characters that is at times almost story problem like.  I am also intrigued by the line between domesticity and wildness--what happens in households and neighborhoods versus the natural world that teems at its doorway and nevertheless creeps in.


What genre does your book fall under?




short prose fragments.  (I would normally say “prose poems” but I feel like my more “poemish” prose pieces tend to be more self-contained and able to stand alone, where these are very much dependent upon being read in the context of the series.)



What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

I was very careful to keep the characters more allegorical  and nameless, so I’m not sure that I really see them as people enough to make casting decisions.


What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

A suburban fairytale in the form of prose fragments and story problems , the shared properties of water and stars explores the intersections of domesticity and wildness, between restlessness and action.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

I worked on the book intermittently between 2008 and late 2012 in a pretty non-linear manner. Each piece of it was revised a few times before I called it finished, but the entirely of the mss. really existed in only one draft when it was solicited  for publication.  I have done a little tweaking and fine-tuning in the past couple of months since it was accepted, but no major renovations.


Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Initially, all I had was a title (which actually turned out to be completely different from the final one) and a general idea to write a sort of suburban fairytale and interwoven storylines.  I was also interested in the format of logic problems against the backdrop of illogical situations and how I could use those to form a narrative.




What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest.

There are some sexy parts, well sometimes sexy-disturbing, but sexy…



Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

the shared properties of water and stars is due out from Noctuary Press, a cool new press devoted to innovative cross genre work, in April 2013.

No comments: