what I look for as an editor, part #1

 

upcoming DGP cover collage

As we crest the midpoint of summer submissions entering the inbox in consideration for next years series of books, I've been thinking a little gain about what makes a book stand out in the queue and what gets passed on to the second read pile. I've already accepted a handful of things for August into September, and pickings are beautifully lush. I typically have three piles when sorting--the absolute yes, the maybes, and the no-thanks. The last pile is the easiest to send responses immediately. The others I tend to hold onto for a minute as I evaluate how much room I have in the schedule. This year, I do have a little more room (not making the books by hand is more expensive, but does free up time I normally would have spend folding, stapling, and trimming. While I still do all these things for pre-April 2026 titles, everything since is a matter of placing an order in just a few minutes, making the hard part the layout and design instead of the assembly, which can take a little longer with more complicated layouts, but not always. We've also been able to open subs up to longer projects and full-length manuscripts. This is especially welcome since many of our chaps before perfect-binding were running about 40 pages and weren't always easy to trim. 

This spring, I fleshed out a little more guidance on what we're looking for, including a broad definition of what is "poetry" which can mean prose, essays, vispo, plays, and any variety of hybrid works that tongue the edges of other genres. I love the unclassifiable books most. I also have my biases in terms of loving horror and gothic projects, so we readily welcome those in particular, but tend to choose a wide selection of styles and topics overall. 

But beyond these, one of the chief important things I am looking for is cohesion. Whether its a 100 page book or under 20 pages, tightness in subject matter or theme will always stand out, as will projects that have a narrative spine. So many times when encountering book manuscripts, it feels like a poet just threw everything in with the kitchen sink. But having things that tie and bind and link individual poems and parts together is important. Some intention in which poems are included and how they are arranged.  This is especially true of full-length books, especially first books, which usually tend to assemble from many disparate pieces, even if the poet eventually writes more project-related books down the line. There are a few ways, however, to bring disparate pieces together to make a sound chapbook or book of poems. 

Building a narrative is one of the easiest ways, but it depends heavily on their being narrative there in the first place, which greatly may depend on how narrative a poet you are in the first place. If you tend more toward lyric work, think of narrative not as linear, or cause and effect, and more how you want the audience to move them--what makes sense. Mirroring can provide structure, as can using your section headings wisely. Sometimes, its a matter of finding movement, like a vein of rock or a tiny stream that runs through the work and working to highlight that so that the book makes sense as a whole.  


 

Comments