notes & things | 7/27/26

 

This weekend found me holed up for a writing mini-retreat while J worked a wedding gig in Wisconsin, which meant a whole uninterrupted day of working on the zombie/hotel play, which didn't start out with zombies at all, but somehow ended up there, miles away from where I intended it to go (and which I am still enmeshed in timeline edits) . The perks of this set up, and why I love tagging along on these, is there are no ordinary distractions. No housework or organization tasks No other press & shop business (I am limited by only having my severely outdated Chromebook, which is pretty much only good for running Google docs, but not much else since it badly needs an update that is no longer available.) In most cases, the weddings are only 2-3 hours away from the city, and he could technically drive forth and back day of, but since we have freer schedules around them, we've been turning them into small road trip opportunities.  When he leaves out, I am left to my own devices, usually alternating between writing, reading, and napping mostly. And, of course, snacking (This weekend's yield included copious sweet cherries and cheese curds.)  

 I did manage to reverse engineer my shoddy draft into something more coherent. It's not longer than other things I've been writing for the stage, but is a little bit more complicated in its scope, so still needs a lot of work this week when I have the time to work on it. I do tend to wall of days for writing only--but others get mired in layouts, design, and critique work, which keeps me busy, especially as I am reading submissions now in addition to getting out the last couple chaps of this season. 

Tonight, we're having a second go of THE ODYSSEY (more on this in a separate blog)  and the HADESTOWN pro-shot, which is one of the shows that took its place in my top-ten musicals pantheon last year when we saw it live. I am hoping all this classical myth stuff will help kick start the Calypso project I am supposed to be farther along with this summer, but keep getting distracted from by other projects. We also have & JULIET at the Auditorium and a pirate -themed storefront production up here in the neighborhood from one of my favorite-named companies, Babes With Blades, later in the week.  

Today, we slept later than usual and then watched crazy rainstorms and billowing dark clouds that made it look like 9pm instead of 1 in the afternoon. It's started to heat up again, so we are probably in for a stretch of uninhabitable weather, just in time for downtown to get stupid-crowded for Lolla, so I am not looking forward to that madness.    

Comments