Thursday, February 24, 2022

spring and other longings

Snow today, and a dim and gray apartment that yesterday, for a couple hours was filled with a springish swathe of sunlight, even as the cold moved in. I'm excited for March, and getting out more into the world for walks and mini-adventures when its warm. While February has been catching up and figuring things out in this new work-from-home routine, I've been staying in except for small runs to the lobby, the alley and post box on the corner, largely since it's terrible cold out mostly and I am still without health insurance through March 1st, and thus don't want to fall on ice or snow or any of the other treacherous things (Though I did get bonked on the head with a box that left a welt on my hairline when I was trying to throw away--it  blew back at me in the wind that whips the alley as I tried to get it in the giant dumpster, so everywhere is treacherous it seems.) Next week, I plan to go pick up some covers downtown, so it will be my first journey abroad in three weeks and I do miss downtown most of all (I've been watching some apartment tours for design ideas on YT and coveting those spendy skyline views.)   

As for me, I spend a good amount of time at the work table looking out at the courtyard between my building and the townhouses opposite with  a glimpse of the highrises a block over  that line the lake. Plus some trees at the street I use to gage my seasons.  But until today's snow, there were spots of ground clearing, if nothing that looked like vegetation emerging just yet. Each day, I note the later sunset and how soon I have to turn my lights on (though it depends where I'm working in the apartment--my writing desk gets dark early, but the studio space retains light a little longer. I am still working on cleaning and organization of that space, slowly, since so much was shoved away nearly two years ago when I moved everything. It will no doubt take a while, even working in the space consistently. 


No comments: