Wednesday, May 01, 2019

design obsession | vintage wallpaper



Whenever I am on the lookout for interesting patterns, one of my go-tos is old wallpaper samples--the 60's and 70's are particularly ripe with florals, but older can work too if you're looking for subdued patterns, colors, and textures. Some I lift from the internet, but I also have a collection in the studio that I have scanned and used for projects, as well as to make the cutest little notepads a few years ago.  One of the first lit mags I ever appeared in , Poetry Motel, was the coolest journal bound in old wallpaper scraps and I've been obsessed with binding things in it ever since and may just use it as a binding for a future artist book project.. 



I also tend to use them a lot in my own designs, either the physical scraps or the patterns electronically.  Especially in something like taurus, where the house (the labyrinth)  itself, plays such a big role in the poems, and in exquisite damage, when I'm searching for a  visual that reflects the feeling claustrophobic sort of suburbaness.  Though, just as often, I'll catch site of something and use it merely becuase it's pretty...it varies. 


No comments: