Tuesday, August 05, 2008

readings and beheadings

I am reading tonight as one of three features in a newer series up at Café Ennui up in Roger’s Park tonight at 7pm.…I’m thinking I will read all new work since I’m having a love/hate relationship with the old (and sometimes also with the new). I am also trying to get ready for our reading in the studio on Friday, which means cleaning it up to look presentable and not the massive whirlwind of paper and packing materials it is now. Speaking of tornados, last night I was there printing chaps and heard the storm siren’s start to go off. I was unsure whether to brave the stairwells with their skylights and try for a lower floor, or try the elevators and risk getting stuck if we lost power, so I wandered out into the hallway for awhile until they stopped to get away from the giant windows. It stormed like crazy, and cleared up eventually so I could go home, but not before our bus getting stuck (once again, different flooded viaduct) under Lake Shore drive and having to get on another bus. It wasn’t even all that much water, but the transmission apparently didn’t like it.

The other night, I watched The Other Boleyn Girl and then subsequently brushed up on my Tudor history. As an undergrad, I had to take a British history class as one of my supporting classes in my major..(which didn’t make a whole lot of sense, since my study was steeped in American lit.) But mine was an evening class on Tudor Stuart England, and I have to admit, it was one of the more enjoyable courses, even though it was basically a four hour lecture every week. I was rapt, though, as I was watching this movie. Particularly when it comes to Ann Boleyn and all of Henry VIII’s wives. I have a grizzly fascination with executed women, go figure..(actually only 2 were executed, the others were exiled, divorced, or died in childbirth.) I remember seeing the book in bookstores when it came out, but wasn’t in the mood for some reason the, but will definitely check it out now…

1 comment:

Daniela Olszewska said...

You should totally check out The Tudors (on Showtime or DVD). It's deliciously trashy, historically inaccurate, and the dresses are worth the beheadings.