Friday, August 01, 2008

obsessiveness

I've been going over the poems in the kissing disease, and one thing that keeps surfacing in my head is the word "obsessive", something that probably makes them a bit different from the work that has come before them. It might be the effect of certain strains of repetition, in both individual poems and throughout the manuscript. Of course, a big part of it are the anxiety dream sequence, so a certain amount of obsessiveness in subject matter is to be expected, but I'm talking more a tone and effect of the actual language. A circularity, or a raking of things over and over (and over and over almost to the point of annoyance in some cases). Getting to the end of something and then going back over it again. And again. It might be the anaphora, or a note of uncertainty. It's interesting, and maybe something I can work with in terms of order and organization.

2 comments:

Juliet Blood Pudding said...

Yes, I agree. And personally I think that the owners of large dogs should bear the burden of beng even more responsible because of the damage such a dog could potentially do. If someone asked me, 'Do you think a pit bull owner whose dog bites someone is more irresponsible than a chihuahua owner whose dog bites someone?' I would say, 'Well yeah. Because there's a difference between getting a finger bitten off and getting a head bitten off'.

Also, I have been highly fearful of your "kittens", since the moment I glimpsed the first photo, creeping into my nightmares with an insidious and demonic force. They must be smited!

kristy bowen said...

That was why I SO wanted to name them after the twins in The Shining but discovered they don't really have names in either the book or the movie....very unfortunate...