Friday, December 15, 2023

notes & things | 12/15/ 2023



Despite closing in on the holidays and indulging in some of the usual fanfare-like my tree and apartment decor, some new twinkle lights, peppermint milkshakes, and some trashy Christmas rom-coms, I still have moments in the whirl of things where I'm like "of yeah, right, it's Christmas." I have procured most of my presents, sadly easier now that I have less people to buy for. One big present to ourselves was to get a season pass at Alamo Drafthouse theatre, which means we'll be able to see all sorts of things each month for the cost of like two movies if we were paying the regular price. (of course, we still manage to spend too much on soda and popcorn --and occasionally their mozzarella sticks that I am obsessed with.) Not only do they show regular new releases, but lots of revivals and some series that are horror or queer-focused, so we plan to go 1-2 times per week. December is serious, Oscar-heavy fare, so we're looking forward to seeing some quieter, less horror-driven options.

In between movie dates, I am working, working, working. Writing, writing, writing. Mostly design articles, DIY pieces, and some restaurant guides for far-off (Asheville), and not-so-far-off cities (Milwaukee). The weather has been milder and kinder than previous Decembers, with even the nights not to frigid since a cold snap around Thanksgiving.  I hope the snow holds until after Christmas at the very least but I have a feeling it's only a matter of time. Meanwhile, the darkness comes swifter and deeper as we hurtle or creep (both it seems sometimes) toward the solstice and the longest day in just a week. 

Plans for GRANATA continue, with some perusing of options for how I want the finished project to look, hardcover vs. softcover, full-color artwork, trim size, etc..I'm hoping for a release sometime in February or March. The fledgling part of spring seems like a perfect time to release a book about Persephone, so watch for more news there. I also have a couple zine projects I will be pulling together finally after the new year..surely something in time for Valentine's Day, perhaps the urban crypto poems that feel a little like dysfunctional valentine's in spots. Yesterday, I did launch my mini-advent project over at Instagram, so follow along there to see daily new pieces. 




No comments: