Saturday, January 28, 2023

notes & things | 1/28/2023


Because its January,  I sleep like the dead no matter what time I tumble into bed. As such, I wake up groggy and achy in the arms from wrapping them around the pillows and not moving them all night.  I've read two articles lately that good news, sunset is happening after 5pm now and the speed of the summer solstice is slowly inching up--by the end of February, the days are easily two hours longer than they are in December. Still, another rash of cloudy days, and quite often snow, which has actually managed to accumulate this week just when we thought after a terrible end of December, we were going to get off light. It's better now that I don't have to really go anywhere, still, I eye it warily since later, I need to take out some trash and Amazon boxes to the dumpster in the alley, which is rarely plowed or adequately salted. 

I finished the week off yesterday with a couple lessons devoted to Indian temple architecture, the Golden Temple and The Lotus Temple. I always love the architecture ones and grab them when I can from the queue..though lately there has been more mythology which I also love.  I also have, on the heels of the fortune-telling one, a history of tarot I'll be working on Monday. The literature offerings come and go, depending on how quickly the outline editors in various subjects are working, but I haven't seen much there that has caught my eye, nor has there been much in the visual art vein the past couple months coming through, so architecture and myth are keeping me occupied these days with a smattering of history. These are also new lessons entirely, not rewrites, so they are a little freer to write without matching up to existing quizzes and lesson plans.

In other writing things, I have been pitching quite a bit more at HD, which has resulted in some fun articles on whimsical woodland cabins and vintage dishware (on my mind amid my recent scoping of Ebay for green and brown antique transferware which you may have spotted over on my Insta.) I have a lot of mid-century floral stuff and some pyrex, most of which was just thrifted, and my ever-growing collection of dripware, but these pieces are rarer and more expensive and usually not as readily available.  I am also terrified of breaking them though, being over a hundred years old (that is, until they met me and my cats..lol..) They are one of a number of strange little obsessions of late, including new art (yes, more) and finding the perfect dark olive green velvet chair. 

I am working on contracts for dgp today, and responding to some more submissions after a solid week of getting more stuff out the door and into the mail, which usually involves me donning a coat and my giant canvas totebag and shuffling to the end of the block's little blue mailbox while careful avoiding snow and ice. I am still paused on what to move onto creative-wise next, though I have been enjoying some daily (or almost) collage work in lieu of poems and making some final promo video content for automagic.  There are still a couple more days to get a free set of the bird artist postcards in with your book order if you take advantage now



No comments: