Thursday, December 29, 2022

pretty interiors and pestilence gods: a year in freelancing


Other than very obvious things like the loss of my father and the crazy of the past two months, 2022 was a strong year. A good year. A year in which, up til late October anyway, felt like one of my best year's ever. There was initially some searching, as I left the library in February and worried about not starving to death. Some establishing routines and structure to my day to be worked out. I had secured the humanities lesson writing gig in November of last year, which made stepping away securely from full-time work even a possibility. That,  I figured, plus some manuscript critique work I was already doing, some workshop stuff, and selling things in the shop like paper goods, artwork, zines, etc. would hold me at least close, with a little fat trimming (less takeout and dresses) , to my previous income. It would not only remedy me of feeling like I was woefully underpaid and overworked due to understaffing (academia's fucked up priorities in budgets and all), but also allow me more time for art, the press, and my own writing, since I would be less exhausted and gaining valuable hours normally spent commuting and recovering from the library. Just a whole lot less going on in my head and a focus on important things.

In truth, I was terrified.  I spent the first few months of 2022 wondering if I could do it. I started bullwarking up freelance work, taking on some really cool projects. In the spring and summer, I started writing dictionary entries for an online antiques dictionary.  Then neighborhood guides for a real estate site (this one paid well, even with raises, but was just temporary when they eventually hired full-timers to do the work in December.) By summer, I had secured one of my main income sources, the gig with House Digest, which often my most fun one, writing about decor and design, a passion reflected in my interest in design mags/social media and youtube watching, but not something I'd pursued in relation to writing. Looking around at other things I was interested in writing and talking about, I took on a news writing job for a gamer site where I get to write about horror films and tv, which while it pays less than other things, is enough to pay into my entertainment budget each month and then some. I also started writing occasional, and now pretty regular lifestyle pieces for a culinary site--everything from crafty ideas to restaurant and city guides. Then how-to style articles and SEO adjusting for E-How later this year. I actually still have spots for additional work should it come along that's interesting.

It's been a whirlwind, and while I usually put in a good 8 hours writing daily in addition to creative things, the pace is slower and relaxed, with time to take breaks and naps and listen to music. I don't hit the end of the day or the weekend exhausted.  My stress level and feeling like I am herding kittens is much less. My quality of life in general I would say has improved twofold, as has my income, which while not huge, no longer has me down to the wire each time rent is due. I also have a certain amount of control over how much work I do and income streams, which means that I can adjust when extra expenses (like the holidays) come up. 

Not to mention, its a helluva lot of fun.  I have learned so much, seen my city through fresh eyes, found new obsessions and trends, upped my horror knowledge. I have writing days and press days, so any day my routine varies, and even in the writing days, I can direct my efforts where I like depending on bandwidth and deadlines.  The only pitfall with self-employment I've found  is that when disaster strikes, you just can't take off from work and still get paid being a freelancer like with a conventional job, but it's still better for everything else. When my dad was in the hospital it was hard to balance work and trips back and forth to Rockford, but then again, I needed some focus and normality and work offered it, so maybe it wasn't entirely bad after all. I also cringe a little when my insurance, which I now pay for myself, comes out of my bank account, but then I tell myself I am much healthier now that I am not stressed to the hilt. Today, while invoicing a couple places I write for, I was struck again how its amazing I get paid to do this.

Yesterday I wrote about a Babylonian pestilence god and a cool AirBNB in Florida. The day before, ideas for girls weekends and organic modern aesthetics.  Today, Ifrits (a kind of jinn in Islamic folklore)  and rustic glam style. Here's to a new year of interesting writing adventures! 

No comments: