Monday, October 03, 2022

poetry as exorcism


Perhaps it seems highly appropriate to be talking about exorcisms here at the beginning of spooky season or maybe its just that the fledgling project I kept dipping into when I was working on GRANATA, as yet untitled, feels like an exorcism of sorts. After finishing up what was a project more removed from me personally and my personal history, I moved wholeheartedly into something much closer to my own vest, which is mixing a bit of the past, but in this strange whirl of leaves.  

It's a short project, probably maybe 20 poems overall I'm guessing eventually (right now I have about a dozen). They are about exes and romantic dissolution, which seems old hat and places I've gone before, but this feels new in a way those poems did not. Or more that I am hammering away at something in an effort to rid myself of it. 

Having been a pretty functional and happy relationship the past 7 years, and written about it early on, there still seems to be a lot of yuck clogged in the gutters that needs to come free. But then, I am always chipping away at the past when it comes to all things. Maybe less like leaves but more like a collapsed house we are excavating one level at a time. Here the roof broken in half. Here the sub-basement where the ghosts live.  A chair. A wonky stove. Sometimes, things just lift up from the ground and hover inexplicably.  Sometimes a monster is just a chair with some clothes on it.

I've already got another idea for a more seasonally appropriate project I plan on turning attention to more toward Halloween and the end of the month I look forward to delving more into. More on that as the month progresses...

No comments: