Friday, October 07, 2022

automagic


Tonight, it took some taco bribery, but I stuck it out and thoroughly finished the design and layout portions for this little beauty, which, once its approved, will be in galley stage ideally by next week.  I learned my lesson the last two times and kept this one the same size as FEED was after varying twice since (DARK COUNTRY was larger and squarish, ANIMAL,VEGETABLE, MONSTER slightly narrower.) 

This way, I could do the margins right based on that book instead of just hoping I was getting them right for that first galley on the first try. There will prob be some adjustments, but hopefully only one more proofing. I had to tweak the cover slightly but decided on a coral color for the spine that matches the blooms.

Much of course depends on how swiftly the production part moves (which seems to vary every single book. I could have a proof in a couple days, it could be two weeks) but I am still on schedule to at least have some copies in hand for the official release on October 31st or shortly thereafter unless it needs any major adjustments, which it shouldn't. 

The great thing about the process is I learn a little more each time and in general, it moves much faster in terms of file specifications, font choices, margins, and cover designs. Self-publishing has been more than worth it in terms of getting books out there and having total control over keeping them in print and more of a financial cut than traditional publishing.  I wind up doing more of the heavy lifting in design, promo, and distribution, but its work I like doing (and am kind of doing anyway for others), so it's enjoyable.

Stay tuned for more teasers, a couple recordings, and a proper full-length trailer coming in the next few weeks. 

No comments: