Sunday, August 28, 2022

notes & things | 8/28/ 2022


Though I woke up to some cloudy, muggy weather, fall seems to be encroaching, so close I can taste it. In late August, the trees, much deeper in their greens begin to yellow just slightly and will stay that way through September.  It's a month that is probably my favorite...though depending on the season, I may usually say May--the polar opposite, one the beginning of something, the other, the end of it. Next week, most kids will be back to school. I have a weekend trip home for my dad's birthday, but am otherwise playing the fall by ear to see how much being out and about will be safe --though it IS high holy season for horror releases, so no doubt I'll be hitting theaters, even if it's late, late, no peopley screenings, which are usually what our schedules permit anyway (and by which I mean J's schedule since I am pretty open.)  

If the Covid numbers were down, I might even be sneaking off to see things on my own in the afternoons, esp. when I'm downtown, one of the things I used to love doing, and now making a little bit money specifically writing about movies, I might be able to justify it to my wallet. I think about how we used to pay $1.50 at the second run theaters as a kid, back when new movies were probably only $7 and occasionally get sticker shock at ticket prices. I would gladly forgo the cushy seats and giant screens if I didn't have to budget for a major purchase every trip. If new things are available, unless it's a date night or something that seems important to witness on the big screen, I'd much rather stream it anyway where I can wear my pajamas and the snacks are far cheaper. 

This week, I picked up some pretty new postcards for September release in the shop, so look for those soon (see above.)  I am really happy with the printing at Staples, and though I occasionally faint dead away at the cost when placing orders, I remind myself I am saving money on botched prints, endless toner, and cardstock, and I do not have to cry over my printer--I leave that to the professionals.. I still print older release covers on the inkjet, but doing larger amounts for author copies and new designs (that are able to do things like large amounts of dark and black text with no streaks) is nice. I have not cried b/c of my printer in months. I also like that I can get small batches of things like postcards when I don't need to be storing 100-500 of them. 

I spent the first hours of my day this week doing some tricky-track things for the new writing jobs so my daily poem endeavors fell off, but I will be back to it this week, and hopefully can put a bow on the manuscript the first couple weeks of September. Things are moving faster since I solved my p-o-v issues, so it hopefully smooth sailing on through.



No comments: