Saturday, April 09, 2022

notes & things | 4/9/2022


As opposed to other months that seem to fly by, April always seems a little long.  On one hand, we still have snow in the forecast and rather gray, uninspiring days afoot.  On the other, I I keep looking at the day's NAPOWRIMO poem and thinking, that's it?  it's only the 9th? Already April feels long and cumbersome with things like taxes this week and other random things that must be tended to.  We are a 3rd of the way in and it feels like it's been April forever, that I've been writing these daily poems forever. The strange thing is daily writing is not new to me, so I think it's just the imperative to produce rather than the option to. It somehow makes a difference. 

I am still doing minor tweaks on animal, vegetable, monster and will be finalzing that and ordering some copies before the end of the week, as well as beginning to drop promo breadcrumbs I've been working on, postcards and trailers and reels. I also have some new shop goods coming as soon as the supplies arrive and a bunch of chapbooks as I catch up on late 2021 releases, plus a couple new titles from this season. I am still working backwards through the backlog of orders for some titles and shortening my shipping window on new things now that I am much less in a state of overwhelm. It feels good to move intentionally in these things and not just flailing about.  Some good news also arrived this week with the publication of a short interview in TALKING ABOUT STRAWBERRIES ALL THE TIME, wherein I talk about how a poem happens and an early love of Mother Goose rhymes.  you can read it here.

I still have moments of panic, no doubt, over whether or not I should batten my hatches financially even more, or whether I should take on more freelance stuff in addition to what I have. I feel like I am still a little in a period of adjustment that will all shake out.  I try to spend money more deliberately and less impulsively, so that helps considerably. 

No comments: