Tuesday, February 15, 2022

notes & things | 2/15/2022

Today, a late start, since our Valentines festivities stretched super late (even for me) and I went back to bed after J left this morning. There was a gorgeous single rose and chocolate strawberries and pink champagne as per our tradition, We did not brave the movies on Sunday due to an audition he had, but with cases falling in the state, hopefully spring will be a much more habitable place. Movies, maybe even dinner again. 

Today's task is mostly e-mails and a start to some new galleys. I am learning over the last week to loosen the pace at which things happen--not last minute and calamitous, but steadily and enjoyable--author copies and cover designs and even printing is not as terrible as it once was (outsourcing the majority of covers has saved me much equipment related angst.)  Last week, I accomplished what would normally take me a month in terms of orders and shipments, and even was able to take Sunday off, which has not happened in years. 

I alternated writing days and press/studio days, working on freelance stuff 2-3 / week (depending on my own speed) and press & shop related business the other three days.  I am still playing catch up from January, but I am hoping to clear out a day for editing and submitting and other writerly-related business.(I try to write poems in the morning, but as far as revising and actually doing something with them requires a little more sustained time.I used to be able to do this on Satursdays, so perhaps I will go back to that routine. Since Sundays are designated days off, I probably will still do some painting and art related things, but it's optional.

I was thinking as I worked through a stack of author copies last week how different things feel.  Normally I would have worked all day and then robotically tried to assemble the books and get them out the door as fast as possible because I had to leave or move onto something else pressing. And there was always something new that had to be done in those tiny spaces of time and just a general feeling of overwhelm.  Last week,I spent three days working at a good pace, but also enjoying it. Plotting out some marketing ideas. Watching some Youtube artist interviews. Painting some hand elements (glitter!) on some covers. It feels much less chaotic and rushed and exactly what I need.  

The thing I feared about losing that steady income, small as it was,  is barely anything compared to how much better I feel the past week. Sure, I have to work steadily on the lesson writing, but even those days are simpler and nice. filled with research in the morning and writing through the afternoon.  While things will definitely be tighter until I trick out the shop completely with more offerings (which will be happening in March as I regain my bearings and finish up some things I've had supplies for, but no time.) I am okay with less spendy living. I won't be buying (as many..lol) clothes  I won't have commuting expenses and takeout draining my bank account. The freelance work can cover the rent and bills and groceries just enough. The press pays mostly for itself these days so that's a plus, so I don't have to worry about affording toner and paper. The only new expense will be supplies, but I can scale those as I work, since right now I have so much already waiting to happen. 

And, finally, actually have time and energy to make it happen.... 

No comments: