Sunday, October 24, 2021

dancing girl press notes | october 2021




I've reached that point in the submissions cycle where I am whittling down my list, doing second reads, and getting ready to send out some responses.  I've spent the weekend this far drinking a lot of coffee and knee deep in the inbox, where there is so much goodness it's heartening and a reminder that while it isn't always easy--this work--it's worth it.  Because I am in a mindset where I am questioning all my choices, it reminds me that this one is a good one (despite feeling like I go to a job where I do three jobs for barely the pay of one, then come home and do a couple more interesting ones (including the press and my own creative work) in the off hours and weekends. Which brings it to about five jobs total--and still no financial rewards or safety nets. Also, working even during downtime--whatever that is.  Lately, it's pretty much only in small, almost imperceptible doses. 

And of course, as anyone who runs a business knows, you do not just do one job--there is the manuscript reading of course.  There is the corresponding with authors, the design work, the layout work.  There is the proofing and editing.  Then the website work.  The printing and assembly and fufillment.  And of course the marketing, which has taken a backseat this year, but I hope to get back to a better schedule of social media and promo content (something had to break these past months and it's been this. I streamlined some things regarding platforms, but even the twitter has been neglected since spring. More book content for my own instagram.  More press-related posts here. I've taken on more social media related work for the library, so much of time is spent in those accounts, with a sliver of time to tend to my own, so the press was the neglected one.

The most recent developments have been that I am working to get to a point where I am mostly outsourcing cover printing to the professionals.  There have been many hiccups over time--shitty printers that had cheaper toner, great printers, but whose toner was ridiculously expensive.  Jams and streaks and weird defects. Lately, the Canon was doing the job, but the colors were not as vivid as I'd like. Small inexpensive inkjets are lovely sometimes, but they guzzle cartridges like fiends.  I'd been using one passed off from a co-worker, and she was lovely, but I worked her into the ground and she's a goner.  The canon is good for insides mostly, and faster. The outsourcing has been lovely thus far, and while it ads a bit more to the production cost per book and some planning ahead for ordering, I've been adjusting prices on the new books as I implement. Also watch for some other things--candles, prints, jewelry-- in the shop in November that I'm hoping will pick up some slack.

 As for submissions, I am more or less on schedule to have everything cleared out by Thanksgiving, though its slow going. I've sent some no's already, so if I still have your manuscript it's still in the running and still being read with interest. I am gageing how on schedule I'll be come December for this year's titles (and the very last ones delayed by covid elast year.)  Those releases will determine whether or not some will spill into 2022 and whether I need to take on less.  So much other stuff is also in flux for the coming year, with decisions being made elsewhere that may have impact on how much to accept for the coming year (in a good way.)

No comments: