Friday, October 29, 2021

#31daysofhalloween | 12 good horror things

While I try to cram as much horror into spooky season as I can, much of the best in the genre I encounter through various months of the year.  This is a collection of my favorites in the past 12 months or so...





Crimson Peak

I was a little late to the game on this one, watched during my Del Toro marathon this summer. While I also appreciated The Orphanage and Mama similarly that he had a hand in, this one wins for it's beautiful sets and effects.




Things Heard & Seen

I watched this one a couple times, not only for it's old school haunted house feel and vintage vibes, but it's a great piece of dread horror shot for shot.



Fear Street Trilogy

These I also watched a couple times each for their 90's & 70's nostalgia factor (also 1600's).  Since I was a fan of these sorts of novels as a teen, it scratched that itch particularly well.




Blood Red Sky

I did not know this was a vampire movie, or even a horror movie, when I started watching it, but it proved to be a bloody, violent romp of "Vampires on a Plane!"




Monster Party

This was also one I didn't know what I was going into, but well worth the journey.




All the Creatures Were Stirring

Technically, part of my Christmas movie watching, but in line with the new Creepshow episodes and other similar horror shorts with great stylized sets and stories.




Swallow

While it may not technically be horror, I really loved this one.




Rebecca

A lot of folks hated this remake and again, maybe not exactly horror, but great psychological twistiness.




Them

This one took a lot of hits for it's subject matter and racial concern, but the experience of watching it was terrifying on all fronts.




Relic

This one, since I have a lot of anxiety around getting older and dementia and such things, I almost stopped watching, but I am glad I saw it through--a great piece of psychological horror.




Countdown

I expected this to be bad, being of the sort of genre that usually is, but it was a little better wrought than many of it's competitor's and with a satisfying end. 





Midnight Mass

Mike Flanagan could pretty much direct a Gieco commercial and I'd tune in. This did not disappoint.


No comments: