Monday, August 23, 2021

notes & things | 8/23/2021

 The cicadas have decided today that they are going to make a racket all day long.  I thought it was because some clouds confused them into thinking it was evening, when I can usually hear them (I say them, though even one can make enough racket to seem like a crowd.) We are still a couple years from the 17 year ones, though there are virtually none of that brood in the city--just our yearly regulars you'll occasionally spot dead on the sidewalk (along with giant dragonflies that cluster the lakefront.) There is also a sizeable black spider outside my living room window, who I great each evening as I light the led candles on the ledge inside.  Bigger than his brethren--thick chonky bodies with spindly legs. I've named him Fred, I say "Good evening, Fred."   We've made a deal he won't ever come inside and I won't freak out about him. 

Summer has that worn out, soggy feeling about it now. Buggy and too humid. My apartment will cool down a little, but whenever I get closer to the windows I feel the heat pressing in from outside. I am still waiting for the change of light, but today, it's kind of intermittently cloudy and may rain. I sprung and bought a few fall things last week after we got paid- off ebay--one gold velvety Modcloth dress and a shimmery sweater dress that was Calvin Klein at a steal at less than $30. I found myself also looking for 80's prep-school vibes--argyle cardigans and pleated skirts. This ties into my graviation toward mid-century secretary/librarian looks, but with an 80's spin (a decade I don't usually take much inspiration from, contrary to Gen-Z tastes, having lived through it and most of it just awful.)  Certain 1920s things are also turning my head, though the lines on pre-Depression dresses don't suit my body tyoe in any fattering way..low waisted and boxy. I am much more comfortable in the next decade where things had actual waists, but I do love a sort of old Hollywood in the 20's vibe..things like feathers and chiffon and sparkle. Maybe I need more drapey kimono's and cloche hats in my life. Despite having an abiding love of summery sundresses..fall is my favorite wardrobe season by far. 

Today is writing day, but I am also printing chaps like mad to assemble tomorrow, as well as some other papery fun for prizes in our library scavenger hunt.  It is t-minus two weeks til we are back in the flow, and despite the world around Columbia being a covid enflamed mess, I feel better that there is a vax requirement and mask mandates on campus. So many of my friends teaching at other institutions, esp in the south, are worried as fuck.  Loyola, thankfully, since I live practically in the middle of campus, has similar policies,.  Great since I am sure they will be as safe as they were last year in terms of partying about. (not)

I've been considering a news fast, mostly since I am once again grabbing my phone first thing immediately to doom scroll, which does no one any good.  Having done what I can, having done so since the beginning, I can't do much more about the alarming headlines than I already am. Mask up, avoid crowds or unnecessary gatherings, get a booster if needed. This seems to be going to be a long run. 

No comments: