Monday, June 28, 2021

more writing day exploits


I've been languishing a bit in the luck of these Monday mainly writing-focused days (even the Tuesdays are nice-- I usually do mostly press work and maybe some painting or collage.)  While the circumstances of all these extra vacation days were not great (first, short staffing at the library that prevented being out at all, then, you know, a pandemic) I am appreciating the luxury of not just having one span of free time, but small bits weekly. It works better for the library (we are still short staffed, but managing, and also because I can miss a couple days tasks and catch up the rest of the week, but being gone longer would require cross-training others who are also also short on bandwidth.)  I am not one for travel much anyway, so these mini-vacations suit me perfectly, especially when so much of the weekend gets eaten by other things--cleaning, organizing, recovering from particularly exhausting weeks.  I get a weekend even after my usual weekend, which is glorious. 

Today, I woke up around noon (I actually was up a bit earlier and was starving, so made a frozen breakfast bowl at 7am and watched a bit more of Annabelle: Creation I started last night.) ) I fell back to sleep around 9, then got up and had a second breakfast/brunch of peanut butter toast and some coffee, then set about plotting this weeks blog content--something I've had time for now with these days. I also usually spend a bit of time reading other poetry blogs in my bookmarks (and others courtesy of Dave Bonta's weekly round up.) On the docket for me today were posts about blogging itself and my favorite words. Some notes on last week's binge watch of The Stand. The main task of the day was a final look through of dark country as I get ready to format the galleys for printing. I say "final" look, but spotting typos probably means I should look one more time. Also making sure I like the order and it makes sense. (I actually swapped out my final poem for another I thought ended the collection better.) Also, started at least beginning to plot out my trailer for the book, for which I have only vague idea of what I want at this point, so there is much to do.  I have more a sense of themes and random visuals, but not a coherence to make them happen.   I wound up with some bits and a plan, but the rest will likely have to wait til next Monday for any sort of concentrated effort. 

At around 7pm,  I made some pasta, washed some dishes, and put away my work in favor of some Youtube videos (mostly fashion & thrift hauls)Then, of course, writing this recap of my day. I'll soon soon headed to take a shower then to couch or bed for  more in the Annabelle sequels. I did not get to drafting this months Paper Boat newsletter as planned, but I think I should have some time tomorrow while the printers are doing insides on the new releases.   Sometimes, the days are more packed (next week I am doing some submissions of newer to some journals perhaps, since I have nothing currently out.)  Also, some revisions on newer work from my daily writing. Sometimes, it's one thing--editing, revising, laying out--all day. Sometimes it's many bits of things. In a couple months I'll be back to doing all these things in bits and starts around other tasks, but for now and feeling a bit more intentional with things. 

No comments: