Thursday, June 10, 2021

#authorfashion fridays



(I used to write a lot more about fashion and style, but feel it's fallen off a bit as my moods settled into more somber and serious things in a serious and somber world  I don't know if we'll be here every week, but we'll give her a go...)

For the past month or so, inspired by some of my favorite plus size vloggers, I've been posting #OOTD's on instagram--not every day--since the days I stay home I vary between the same 4 or 5 sundresses I wear at home (some ore nightgown-ish than others.) But any day I actually get dressed and leave the house, I've been posting very no-frills outfit photos.  (I have goals to actually post them as full outfits with shoes and bags and hair not still wet from the shower.  Maybe even lipstick once we're wearing less masks.  But baby steps.) What I've liked is taking pics to see if how I want certain clothes to look is how they actually look (ala Cher and her polaroids). Also, just showing off some of my favorites and trying new combinations. 

Since summer and fall are my highlight seasons for wardrobe (winter is rather ho-hum and spring feels like a continuation of that with maybe a few pastels.) Summer is sundress season, and I have a lot of them. This weekend I pulled out the underbed bins and we are ready for it (it being probably not all that much, but I at least wear things to work.)  Summers are pretty simple in my uniform-like dress and cardigan combos.  There were years where I would have avoided sleevelessness because (egads!) fat arms, but now the cardigans are an add-on usually tucked in my bag til I'm in the library's chilliness--not an armor to hide too much flesh (my mother's voice chimes a warning at me everytime I wear something too bare or form-fitting, or that (gasp!) actually shows off my curves instead of hides them. I've learned to silence that voice.) I feel confident enough that I know how to dress my body in a way I like. Actually sometimes it's a problem-- I spend way too much money on clothes, when 20 years ago, I stuck to the same basics and tried to blend into the scenery. I shop sales and buy 2nd hand most of the time, but it adds up.  Still clothes are something that bring me great joy--the sort of joy I had when I was 8 or 9 before I became too body conscious and shut it down.

So if you like clothes or want plus size dressing examples, check out instagram the latter half of the week. I will also be showing off some other bags and accessories if I can manage to get ready early enough before I have to rush out the door...

No comments: