Sunday, April 11, 2021

notes & things | 4/11/2021

It was a productive end of the week in terms of creative work and  Library work, so I've spent the weekend being intentionally unproductive and will continue to do so, even though there are still some tweaks in the Urban Legends virtual exhibit to make before it's live and another piece to hang on the wall.  Friday, I started watching Them on Amazon and alternately kept stopping it and going back in because at times it was rough watching, but really good horror and social commentary.  It reminded me of my experience watching Haunting of Hill House, only this time instead of blending horror and family trauma / mental illness / addiction, it mixed it with social and racial trauma. I had to stop occasionally becuase my heart was beating too fast or my heart was just breaking too much. There has also been a lot of napping, pot roast in the crockpot yesterday,  and only some light housecleaning. Today,  just a slow start at noon and coffee and eggs and maybe some more thrifting vlogs. Mostly I have been in and out of the comfort of my bed, especially yesterday, which was rather dismal and rainy. 

I almost bailed on my Potter piece yesterday in the interest of being decidedly non-productive, but a line caught in my head and I ended up jotting it down last night right before midnight, so I guess there was that bit of work.  I think there may only be a couple more pieces in that short series and I'll be moving on to something else in the next couple of days--what I haven't yet decided.  Not sure if this is done or I'll come back later, but we'll see.  It's harder for me to push myself to get something down on weekends, which isn't usually in my routine, even when I'm doing a good job of writing daily. Sometimes writing feels like the most glorious play, but sometimes it also seems like work, sometimes somewhere along a spectrum. I will also be releasing this months zine offering tomorrow, conspiracy theories, in conjunction with the exhibit going live, so watch for that. 

Suddenly this week, even the more tenacious holdouts are blooming. The magnolias should be full by the time I walk to the bus tomorrow judging by how they looked Friday. All the trees and bushes have at least a spot of green if not more.  The tulips are about 8 inches and some of the braver ones already sprouted if they happen to be in a sunny spot along the Mag Mile. There seem to be people everywhere on the streets--in shops and restaurants--released by winter, by vaccines, or by their own foolishness.  It's hard to tell which.


No comments: