Monday, October 26, 2020

dancing girl press notes | october 2020


Things are moving slowly, but they are finally once again moving. Orders, layouts, new cover designs for what remains from this year.  Also some acceptances for things to look forward to next year.  It's been a rough patch (I would say it was pandemic-related, but it started long before, as much as a year or so, as things threatened the ship--grief, financial woes, massive studio moves.) There were times when it seemed the best option might be a total hiatus, which is not something I want  to happen, especially when a feminist press seems even more important (today, on a day when terrible decisions are being made on the regular in this country regarding women's rights..) But  I keep thinking of an inspo saying about not quitting, but learning when to rest, which is something I need to keep in mind going forward should things get unmanageable again.  

I keep focusing on the things that sustain me..our authors, who are doing amazing things out there in the world, the people who read the books and love them,  the things we create collaboratively.  Whatever is happening, I am in a much better place to stay on schedule this fall than the previous, even with a dose of pandemic brain.  I blinked and a year passed..a year of getting set-up, printer woes, production issues (so many botched copies with weird ink problems that wound up in the trash. I've learned a thing or two on what my printers are capable (and more important, what they are not.)  How to maximize and not lose money on ink and wasted paper. and regularly, I find myself thinking how what seemed like a disappointment (having to give up the studio space) was actually the best thing that could have happened (not just Covid, though that is a big part of it.). The pandemic and a considerably lighter schedule of releases in 2020 means a little less money making it's way in, but its just enough to keep us in cardstock and toner...I would not have survived 2020 paying out an additional $800 (and never really could unless it was a month where lots of people needed more author copies) So it's good that it was already a done deal, and ultimately had to happen (stretch yourself that thin and things start to fall through.) 

While it's been a rougher year for me this year in terms of design and art than it has been for writing (strange, but the words were the only thing that came back.) I have been mocking up covers, making postcards, and plotting new visual projects aplenty, all of which you will see sooner or later in the shop.




No comments: