Friday, January 03, 2020

hello 2020 | art & design goals



1.  Admittedly, 2019 erred more toward written things than visual outside of dgp cover designs. Some days it seemed I couldn't possibly make time for both art and writing at the same time.  While there were some fruits in terms of releases, publications, and exhibits, these were, outside of the last, things created in previous years.  (my one output this year, besides covers and poster designs, was the collages to accompany {licorice, laudanum}).  Therefore the primary goal this year is to make more art.  With all my supplies in one place, this will be easier I think., at least when working with more material things (vs. digital).

2.  The books and objects series of course is part of this, not only the written/visual projects, but also the purely visual ones.  I have a lot of raw materials--monotypes, prints, collages, that just need to be compiled and fashioned into something--zine, artist book, whathaveyou. Again, I intend to start with the poets zodiac, but there will be many just-visual things the horizon like the florographia series and night bloom.  Lately, when I run short of more book like things for the subscribers, I send more prints and postcards, which is fine, but I feel like I'd like to send things that are more substantial 90 percent of time.

3.  I like the idea of creating the more random zines on the regular--like the stuff I create for zine night.  These are usually less planned and designed and more thrown together from whatever we have going on---collage, cross-outs, etc.   I'm averaging about one per semester, but I'd like to aim for one per month.  They're mostly just for fun and to populate the zine exchange, but I like the variation from my longer term projects.



4. Even without the space to do open studios, I would still like to keep the shop filled with cool, non-book offerings, and have supplies for so many things I just haven't had time to make happen.  New notecard & postcard designs, flasks, keychains, totebags.   I finally pulled the Cricut I bought in April out of the box and am excited to see what I can do with that in terms of iron-in vinyl.  And of course, the tattoos that I've been working on and perfecting in terms of design and materials. Again, these things will be so much easier with everything in one place now.

5.  There are a number of things I would like to either learn or perfect--hand lettering, paper flowers and quilling, some new techniques for collage materials.  I'd like to focus on one new thing or technique per month to perfect these skills or try things for the first time.

No comments: