Tuesday, May 07, 2019

curvy girl fashion | appropriate flounce





Somehow I blinked and fluted sleeves came back into style.  Granted, I am not always a fan..I'm one of those people who usually ends up bunching everything, even cardigans,  up around my elbows to keep my forearms free when I'm writing or typing.  So much so, I actually seek out 3/4 sleeves on the regular for everything.  Fluted sleeves are usually ungainly and totally in the way if you're actually attempting to do..well..pretty much anything but flounce about.  While my taste tends toward more 30's & 40's silhouettes in general, these evoke a much older romantic and, therefore, are highly tempting.

About 15-17 or so years ago. maybe earlier, fashion was hit hard by the flounce.  I remember a variety of impractical sleeves I insisted on wearing when options were more limited and eventually, when the trend had died, cast them out.   I did managed to find a couple of options that had little ruffle sleeves at the elbow that were small, but pretty,  and for awhile these were my favorites--one was a purple lace that ended up getting ripped, but I still have a chiffon number that's brown with tiny blue flowers that I still occasionally wear (the pattern is modern enough that it doesn't look like it hailed from 2002.) I always feel very old school romantic marie antoinette-like in these sleeves, and was super excited to note that apparently they have been back without me noticing.  In some cases, even the newer options are a bit too much in the flounce department, but it's nice to see a lot of elbow length versions that stay out of the way...

for some more options, go to my pinterest board..


No comments: