Sunday, February 13, 2011

animalia


I think today was the first tolerable day to be outside in months, all suneshiney and possibly even in the forties. The zoo was great fun, even though a lot of the animals (all the bears, at least) were inside off display. We did see most of the big cats, a 1 month old gibbon, a whole lot of alpacas, and the most adorable slow lorises (or lori??), plus the usual gorillas, zebras, etc. The loruses were so cute I wanted to take them home with me. The LP zoo is hands down my favorite zoo anywhere (and it's free to boot). I used to get over there a lot when I lived a couple blocks away from it, but I try now to go at least once a year, though the crowds can be a bitch in the summer. Earlier in the day, we were sometimes the only visitors in front of the displays, though it gets a little busier in the afternoon even in February. We also did a quick turn around the Lincoln Park Conservatory, whose flower room was chock full of azaleas and cyclamen, so bright and vivid, that they almost made me forget the snow outside.

No comments: