Friday, August 29, 2008

ugh..why I really try not to follow politics since they just make me angry

When I saw this, my first thought was hmmm..interesting. That maybe Republicans weren't all entirely evil if they were willing to put (gasp!) a woman on the ticket, and much less, a rather young woman. And then I read further, and realized that indeed they really are as bad (or worse) as I thought--anti-abortion? anti gay marriage? wtf? I would have thought a woman, of all people would have her head on straight (wanting control of her own body, a little bit of empathy for those with different sexual preferences) There's no excuse...

For years, I was under the mistaken opinion that people of my generation (10 or so years earlier or younger than me)--basically, the entire fold of Generation X and the beginnings of Y were of a similar rather liberal perspective. After all, our parents had been hippies or 70's swingers. we'd seen the Reagan years and they weren't pretty. I imagined a generation more open to change and different lifestyles. Uh..apparently I was wrong..as my daily experience on the Etsy forums will attest (a shock after really only knowing poetry and artsy folks otherwise))there seems to be a serious backtracking . Not only is my generation not what I thought it was, but the next one is sometimes even scarier in their conservatism. Yikes..

3 comments:

Evildolleyes said...

It always saddens me to see women who are basically anti-woman, which is what the "pro-life" movement is really all about.

And don't get me started on the stupid ones who will want to vote for McBush now just because Hillary didn't get the nomination...

K.A. Bell said...

Neither candidate excites me...I don't have much of an opinion on politics anymore, either. I think somewhere in the middle is where it all should meet, but...this system is never going to improve. I don't know if I believe everything Obama says, but, I'd need a lobotomy to vote for McCain. Palin is...interesting, but how can a woman logically be against abortion? Oh, right...Christian brainwashing. Ugh. I don't know, Kristy...Greenland is looking good these days.

Tilt Press said...

I thought it was insulting - to think that feminists or any woman for that matter would actually vote for McCain because he put a woman on the ticket - puhleeze! A skirt does not a feminist make!

Did you hear her speech? She basically compared herself to Hillary Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro - uhm, no, sorry.

Actually, this is great for the Dems because this woman is a joke. I truly believe they just handed us the White House.