Thursday, June 23, 2005

I've noticed a slightly disturbing trend. Tis the season for contest announcements. Tonight Sarabande, to which I'd sent the now defunct Fever Poems manuscript. Though I knew my chances were a longshot in such a rather large and prestgious contest, I'm noticing that every announcement --for winners, finalists, semi-finalists--contains a couple rather big names. This time Larissa Spzorluk, who's work I adore. But...um...last time I checked she had three books to her credit. Mary Ann Samyn--three books...Now I know it's often hard to get that second book, and very hard to get the first, but I'd think at some point you'd be able to say I'm done with contests...that small publishers would be crawling all over themselves to publish your next book...and you wouldn't need the accolades anymore...you'd have proved hey you can do this and be free to write and publish your books at your liesure and not run the rat race. Maybe let the little guys have a chance. Maybe it's the money, or the attention..what little fame you can glean. But maybe I'm naive...

On the very cool side, Rebecca Cook made the list of semi-finalists. And yes, she's been in Wicked Alice. (See how I make this all about me..what impeccable taste I have as an editor)....Congrats Rebecca!!!

2 comments:

Jenny Hill said...

Congrats to Rebecca!

That's a disturbing trend, I agree.

RYC: Thank you so much.

Suzanne said...

Kristy,
I remember how stunned I was when I found out that poets have to keep submitting to contests for subsequent books. I don't think it ever gets any easier.

BTW will you drop me an email? I have a quick question for you--

sfrischkorn at hotmail dot com

Thanks a bunch~*