Wednesday, January 09, 2013

art, or something like it


As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I was excited to get to play with a new set of watercolors I scored for christmas. I'm not so much of a drawing/painting person as I am a cutting/gluing sort of artist, but these turned out better than I'd hoped. I've been obsessed with landscapes for a couple years now visually and especially like abstract ones, the one's that leave the eye and imagination to fill the details, almost as if you were looking through a frosted window (or maybe you were sort of drunk.) These little postcard paintings are sort of rough and a little moody, but still pretty. I found a way to keep working with a base color and alter it by lighter/darker, thinner/thicker. Eventually I want to incorporate more mediums into my collage work down the line as I experiment more..



At times, I find myself wishing I had fit an art class in during all those years in school. In high school I was too busy with journalism and language classes to have many free electives, and in college was all about writing classes and theater stuff.I suppose since I duh, you know , work at an art shool could take some art department classes if I wanted, but my tolerance for undergrad classmates is just about nil. A few years ago I took a community workshop at the Book & Paper center, which was awesome..I wish there was more free time for such endeavors, but I'm still stretched way too thin to even think about more school, but someday perhaps...

No comments: