Tuesday, June 18, 2024

notes & things | 6/18/2024






Here on the cusp of midsummer, the days are groggy and in the 90s with no cool evenings the past couple of nights. While most summers, I've been content to white knuckle it through hot weather (smaller electric bills and I love open windows) J procured us a couple A/C units that are making their way to us as we speak, his tolerance much less than my own. As such, I've been doing low effort things like making sausages and wings in the crockpot and lots of cold salads for dinner (macaroni, potato).  Its rare, this long a spate of 90s this earlier in the summer, which does not bode well for July/August, though Chicago is, if anything, highly unpredictable in climate.  

Spurred by this movie, this morning found me postponing my poem work in favor of generating some fun little fairies, some of which are definitely more insect-alicious than humanoid. Last night, the heat made it hard to get to sleep, so this afternoon found me napping for a little while between writing tasks. The kind of summertime nap as the sky lingered toward sundown, where, if outdoors, you could snatched away by the fae so very easily. 

Thursday, we'll be catching the director's cut of Midsommar on the big screen as a special A24 showing. They did it last year as well, though it was in October and just an extended cut, but not the full shebang. It inevitably leads to a long disagreed plot point over whether its a happy ending for the protagonist or a bad one, of which i am leaning more toward the former, J to the latter. It might be gender or general outlook, I am not sure. Nevertheless, it's a movie I've seen three times previously, twice in the theater where those sunny landscapes and surreal scenes are heightened, and one via streaming. It quickly became one of my favorite horror films.