Sunday, May 26, 2024

notes & things | 5/27/2024

 

from broken places


Today's afternoon Time Capsule film offering was Back to the Future, which seems on point given the weird experience of remembering my 11 year old self in 1985 watching it vs. my middle age self watching it now. (I had not seen it in at least a couple decades)  Granted, then I was likely shoving Milk Duds down my throat and watching with my cousin at a mall vs. eating a fancy bougie breakfast club in recliner seats in the middle of bustling Wrigleyville with J, but still the same experience. 

Things stand out to me more now, especially about the unfulfilled potential of the parents, and that whole attempted rape scene in the school parking lot, which would not have registered in the 80s. It was especially relevant since last night found me watching a YouTube video that mentioned a series of TikToks where an Air BnB host has footage on a ring cam that a man entered his backyard shed and emerged a day later decades older. Sometimes I feel like that man, except there is no shed filled with broken washing machines and empty detergent bottles to serve as time machine. Just time.

Tonight, after a rainy morning and bright afternoon, the sky opened up again and cast a Mars-like orange glow. Outside of our afternoon outing, I am working better to get more done in the week in favor of at least one weekend day off, but it doesn't always work out that way. I did make a good dip into the remaining layouts for upcoming chaps, as well as mailed out some decisions for the coming year.  The days are so long and wind to twilight so nicely in a way that I am already simultaneously mourning for come fall, all at a time when the heat and languor of summertime have not yet set in. (I actually needed a jacket when we were out today..I'm guessing the wind was off the lake.)

I am in the final throes of the broken places" series and pondering where to turn next amid a slew of half conceived, abandoned, or fledgling projects in the hopper, all of which would be completely reasonable to work on this summer. I've also made the decision on which zine to issue for June, so keep an eye out for that after the first of the month.