Wednesday, March 20, 2019

the cruelest month

As we come up on another April, another NAPOWRIMO, I can't help but think that last year's endeavor was really the beginning of me digging in on daily writing. For all those years that I tried and failed, the only thing done differently was prioritizing the writing at the beginning of the day instead of putting it off til the end. In previous attempts, I'd make it about 10 days in and buckle.  I aced April last year, and (mostly) continued on for the rest of the year (I did take a couple of breaks when things got crazy and/or I needed to somehow fill the well). So many pages, and poems, and series have come about in the last year. I'm only sad it took so long to realize that was what I needed to do.  I was productive before, but mostly in droughts and spurts, and never as much to my liking.  Also, I think the more time you spend at it, the more you write, the better you get.  You might write 10 poems and only one is a keeper, but that one is better for all those other pieces.

I am knee deep on a couple different things currently, and am plotting out my April endeavors, which I will be sharing daily drafts here on the blog.  My go-to for days I have to force myself to work are zodiac poems, so you'll see some of those occasionally.  Otherwise, maybe some more work on the HH Holmes project unless I hit a wall on that one and move onto something else (maybe a series to go with those new botanical inspired collages.  Daily writing has definitely, as time goes on, made me feel like whatever my day brings in terms of drudgery or demands, I have created something, even just the tiniest bit.  Tiny bits, of course, eventually add up to bigger things like series and book manuscripts. It just takes some time.

No comments: