Sunday, January 23, 2011

film notes


I am SO not a person who knows very much about film, but I'm always pretty quick, especially in period peices, to be swept away by gorgeous costuming and set design choices. I was watching An Education the other night and could not get over how gorgeous and striking every single shot was on an aesthetic level. There are a few others that have struck me in a similar way, almost so much that I miss lines of dialogue and important plot points because I'm distracted by the scenery, movies like the Diane Arbus biopic Fur



and the stunning Marie Antoinette (actually pretty much any other Sophia Coppola film also.) there is a certain meticulousness paid to every scene, every nuance, every detail that makes them absolutely beautiful, not only for what is going on in the scene, but the scene itself.


No comments: