Friday, June 30, 2006

striving to be the VC Andrews of poetry

....trashiness, drama, incestuous plotlines...

not to mention writing long after you are dead.

I've been thinking about the chapbooks, beginning with errata, extending through feign, and into the phobia series (turning out to be an abecedarian except where the classical alphabets have left me in the cold).. My first instinct was that, together, these would make a damned fine longer book, since the threads all complimented each other. In fact, in the spring, I was working to tie the first two chaps together somehow, along with some other random science-themed poems into a manuscript called instabilities. But now I'm wondering if in fact the pieces aren't stronger in their individual incarnations as chapbooks. feign was initially supposed to be a longer project anyway, but it works neatly as a slimmer volume, tighter. Like a lot of folks, I don't think a book should just be a bunch of chapbooks slapped together, so I'm thinking I may just leave be and consider those three books separate but together, a trilogy of sorts (thus VC Andrews). Of course, it could go on infinitely. There's alot to explore regarding women and language, women and knowledge, madness and corruption. The things which tie these three books together. And then I started thinking about the possibilities of trilogies (or even larger series)in poetry, book or chapbook form. things that don't really come together as a unified book, but as a project composed of separate books. Pretty cool. The only author I can think of offhand is Kevin Young, but there must be more surely. Any recommendations?

2 comments:

becca said...

There's D.A. Powell's Lunch, Tea, and Cocktails.

Frederick Seidel, too, I think, though I don't know anything about him or the books.

H.D. is a little more complicated because I think she has the book Trilogy (which contains three books) but then also has two other books that some say accompany it -- Helen in Egypt and Hermetic Definition.

kristy bowen said...

excellent. I'll have to take a look at them. thanks Becca!!