Friday, July 29, 2005

I stumbled upon this article and it made me wonder briefly if perhaps my time spent blogging could be more readily used writing poems. Of course I figure most of my blog writing and reading occurs at my day-job, where my concentration isn't focused enough to work on poems anyway. Those long nights at the circ desk are good for that and editing, readying submissions and reading poems online, but the interruptions are just frequent enough that they prevent me from writing with any degree of success. I'm also one of those people who can't really write in public spaces like cafes since I like to compose outloud and it all makes me entirely too self-conscious to be whispering under my breath. Trains and buses are good for jotting down notes, but again nothing really gets written. I usually either write at home at my desk/dining room table, or sprawled across my bed--always longhand until I at least have a good draft.

I'm off tomorrow morning and won't be back from Wisconsin til mid-week. Hopefully I won't be mauled by bears or racoons or the giant blue herons that land on the Arrowhead's lawn. Birds really shouldn't be that big.

Until then.

2 comments:

Radish King said...

I think of my blog as my writing practice. I believe the key to mastery is to have practice as a goal.

I hope no giant birds have carried you off.

marybid said...

Personally, my blog is fuel for poetry, especially because it helps me read more. It's the same little buzz I felt when I was in poetry workshop classes, only without uncomfortable chairs or bitchy classmates.

I also love the fact that blogging reminds me that we aren't alone, all of us poets. Even if we are loners in spirit or practice.