notes & things | 10/6/26
The trees have finally decided to get on board with autumn, and the ground and everything else is covered in a layer of small yellow leaves (locust trees I think.) The nights have finally turned chilly, though the days have been sunny and mild, the usual for early Octobers unless it's raining or stormy. We were out in McHenry over the weekend for the drive in and it was actually cold enough in the car I had to cover up. We're hoping to get back for some horror stuff the end of the month, by which time the movies will be starting earlier and the weather cold enough to bring blankets and boozy hot chocolate most likely.
Today, I put the final touches on draft two of the emails-from-the-dead play I've been chipping away at since my last mini-retreat, and I will be getting another this weekend in Rockford (along with some time to hang out with my sister & co.) J is doing music for a wedding ceremony at the Japanese gardens there and then later a reception in Woodstock, so we decided to make a weekend out of it. He also has a Michigan gig the following weekend, by which time the trees up there should be in their full fall glory from what I remember last time I went up to Detroit in mid-late October. Even though I've been making steady progress on the plays, they take longer to edit and revise than poems, so larger blocks of writing time, beyond my daily couple of hours or so. Especially when I am still trying to work out logistics. Not entirely sure, as soon as I finish the edits on existing plays, what I am working on next .There are a couple of possibilities I am entertaining, including the moth man play set in the 50s that I have notes for. We also saw a really great production of a play called WITCH, which luckily, another local theater in the burbs will be mounting next fall as well so we can see it again.
I am feeling the pull of writing some more poems, though I do still have a couple plays I'd like to get a foothold in this month. Around the beginning of next year, I'll likely return to the thrifting memoir project as a break on scripts as I try to start sending them out and around.

Comments