Thursday, January 02, 2020

hello 2020 | press goals


1. With order processing times stretching way too long during parts of this year, I am working to close this window and deal with the backlog on some titles.  I'm aiming to have turn around time of two-three weeks, even on new titles that are pre-orders.  Having everything at home is already making a huge difference, and I have been working this break period to get to everything I still owe from the fall out the door before I go back to work next week.

2.   I am also trying to balance time/enerfy constraints with my desire to take on as many mss. as I want to bet getting out there.  I am still sending some responses for next year, but I had to reign things in a little on the numbers of accepted titles, and therefore had harder decisions to make in terms of yesses and nos.  Even with more production time, I'd like to have a little bit more of a tenable, less frantic publication schedule.

3.  With the two above goals in mind, I'd also just like to move more slowly and  with more purpose when it comes to the press.  When I get rushed and crazy, I feel trapped.  I also make dumb mistakes like printing/assembly errors, putting the wrong labels on packages, sending to the wrong address. All of which could be avoided if if I just slowed my roll sometimes.

4.  I'd like to make a couple things happen like the way overdue SWIM anthology project and another little mini-chap contest I think could be fun.   I also enjoyed working on collaborative projects (ideally chap-anthologies edited by other folks, much like the Mansion anthology.)  It's cool to be able to work with some other folks curatorial tendencies and make something amazing.

5.  There was a point this fall when I was completely overwhelmed and thought of putting a wrap on wicked alice in it's entirety, the planned realuanch feeling impossible in the chaos.  I'd even written a goodbye message, but then tumblr was giving me trouble posting.  A month or so later, I felt better about continuing, so I'm kind of glad I didn't announce that we were closing completely. I still would like to curate that space--the logistics of which I'm still working out. Also whether or not issues are better than regularly updated content.



No comments: