Friday, June 21, 2019

notes & things | 6/21/2019


 It's officially the beginning of celestial summer, or should be, despite the fact that earlier this week I was reaching for heavier jackets and the space heater whenever the windows were open too long.  Even tonight, which is a little milder, is still dropping into the 50's--no doubt probably some weirdness of climate warming/jet stream wonkiness. I have a blissfully unencumbered weekend excepts for some dgp proofing and getting things ready to print on slew of new titles and clearing out the inbox. I'm set to start reading submissions in about a week, so I am trying to get my organizational ducks in a row.

I am trying to enjoy these long evenings, though, chilly as they are, because beginning now, we will start to lose them bit by bit, and since I was spending a good chunk of time in the studio tonight, took a couple nights off this week and was home before the daylight was gone.  I've been dragging, and feeling my 7 vs. 8 hours of sleep more than usual. It does not help that sometimes it's closer to 6 if I get streaming something good and want to get in one more episode (this week it was Dead to Me.) Despite my mind and body being tired, I've actually been a little more level emotionally than I was for a bit there, so even a cold summer does wonders in terms of seasonal affective disorder.  And actually, with no A/C I'd love a milder summer topping in the 70's during the day.

Writing-wise, this week brought some final edits on my piece that was accepted at The Journal, and some good news about an opportunity to read at the Field Museum this September (more on that soon.) I'll get free access to the museum to write about something there on exhibit, so I am already brainstorming ideas. It's one of my favorite places in the city, and my favorite museum (it edges out the Art Institute by a hair.)  I'm incredibly nostalgic about it--it was our field trip destination that fateful day at 15 years old when I glimpsed Chicago for the first time and decided I wanted to live here, so every time I'm in there I get a certain euphoria.

This week also brought some preliminary temporary tattoo designs for the shop.  As I've been hunting up pretty flora and fauna, I've found certain things lacking, including some vintagey black and white botanicals, so I'm going to concentrate their first, for my own purposes, and eventually will offer them in the shop when I have them perfected.  They're turning out to be a fun wearable piece of art, and I like that I have the freedom to change things up and think other folks will too.

No comments: