Saturday, September 22, 2018

notes & things | 9/22/2018

No automatic alt text available.

It's been a busy week and upcoming weeks about to get busier. We're now on that  slick slope into October, when all the good things we've spent time planning in the library will be happening. All week, I've been eyeing the submissions for the Beautiful Monstrosities exhibit and yesterday sent responses and prepared for drop-offs this week. We wound up with a good span of mediums and styles that should be interesting. Preparations are also under way for the attendant programming--the film panel, the reading, and such, as well as the Indie Press Festival, which falls earlier in the month than usual. This week's first Book to Art Club meeting of the year was likely the most successful yet, with a bunch of participants and some amazing collages created  for our final project devoted to War of the Worlds.

This week brought warmer weather that has since cooled off nicely, as well as beautiful mail, including my copy of Ethel, which has a piece from exquisite damage as well as a copy of  Jen Rouse's dgp / bone & ink press  collab Riding With Anne Sexton.  Jen did a gorgeous job in the book's production, which included some design elements from all of us and an awesome cover from Arielle Kwestel.

I am working on pulling together copies of the science of impossible objects, which is the August/Sept. zine offering. Hopefully, I will have them finished up by the end of the week..I would love to have unusual creatures on deck for October, it being the requisite amount of spooky, but there is so much to do and track down in terms of supplies, it may have to wait til winter.  In the vein of spooky, I've been idly doing some early research on HH Holmes and the Murder Castle. I've always had an interest in the Worlds Fair anyway, so it might be useful.  Holmes was one of the rare Taurus serial killers on one of those zodiac lists, and I find it amusing, like all Tauruses who occasionally are a bit much, he wound up building and entire hotel to do his killing in..lol..nothing like over-planning ahead.

Otherwise, I plan to continue my weekend horror movie watching on Amazon streaming.  A couple weeks back was my my first caramel apple of the season and we'll soon be into hot chocolate territory.  I am eyeing November warily, not sure where my mental state will be given the first anniversary of my mom's death, and another round of horrible holidays,  but as for October, I am locked and loaded...



No comments: