Friday, August 24, 2018

friday obsession | fall things

I realize I am a mere 2 weeks from the fall closet switchout and I'm a little more excited than I should be  Fall is by far where my wardrobe excels..and indeed, a much more varied season.  While summer has me mostly in sundresses and cardigans, fall adds a few layers, a bit more texture.  I wear more skirts,  more sweaters.   Velvet, corduroy, suede.  Some nice chunky knits, plaids and flannels. While I'm not looking forward to my ever-growing battles with hoisery and tights, I am looking forward to all those things I've squirreled away since last winter.

Some of the things I am excited about:

1. Denim Jackets



I've been staring at a denim jacket hanging on my studio hook for weeks now...I have quite a few, in various cuts and washes, but I had bought a fur collar for another coat that didn't work out and had tossed it over the hook.  This summer, somehow, I really an digging the idea of affixing said collar to said jacket and adding a little glam to ordinary denim.  I think my fur obsession last winter was spurred by a bit too much Game of Thrones watching.   I also have quite a few brooches on hand from other crafting exploits and may add a some bling to another.  I was remembering the other day how much, when I was 12, I was coveting a regular slouchy jean jacket and wound up with this terrible flannel lined monstrosity of blue and gray denim.  Not only was it reversible, it had a detachable vest. But I was all about it for a couple years in junior high and early high school.


2.  Sweater Dresses

Knits 1974 vintage fashion color photo print ad models magazine designer sweater dress gold tan mustard st john like 70s

I am always in search of good sweater dresses..ideally those with keep their shape and don't stretch out in the butt after sitting all day at the library.  These vintage ones absolutely kill me, but I've found a few cute offerings from Avenue and Lands End in past years.


3. Velvet Anything

j crew crushed velvet blazer
(J. Crew)

It's about to hit high velvet season and I am itching to wear both the teal velvet blazer I bought last fall and my velvet leopard coat. Unlike my faux fur one which is pretty much only good in the arctic tundra of January, the velvet one was wearable through April. I wound up buying not one, but two velvet holiday dresses last year and one I never even wore, so I'm anxious to bring them out of hiding this winter. 

No comments: