Friday, July 25, 2014



This weekend, there will be napping.  There will be painting. There will be reading more manuscripts and writing more poems and getting to spend some more time with this little guy (and his sister) before they are off to their permanent home in a couple weeks (Ezra is all mine, but Nimbus & Moxie will be settling in with a friend once she has her apartment by the end of August.) 

Today I was working on some layouts and it occurred to me how, of the manuscripts we publish, that A). they are so ridiculously awesome, and B) that their authors somehow send them to ME of all the amazing presses where they surely could find a home, many more fancified and high profile than dgp will ever be. But send they do, and I'm enormously pleased and grateful that it somehow happens.  that books like these get written and that of all people, I get to bring them into the world.   This week's layouts are some of our more quirky & humorous books for some reason and they are pleasing me to no end, including books by Jeanine Deibel, Irene Mathieu, Cynthia Schwartzberg Edlow, Kassy Lee, and AM Ringwalt.  And this is not even counting the new submissions that I am making my way though, of the accepted books that are still coming down the pipeline in the fall and winter. It's amazing to think that 10 years ago, we were just starting and how much has come about since then.

The week has been longish, and busy, but with good poetry and good sandwiches (it's poor week, so no restaurant lunches this week for me.) I leave you with Miss Moxie and her favorite spot among the fabric shelves.  I leave you with fair weather and hopes that my writing energies are as strong as my editorial ones this week...

No comments: