Sunday, December 19, 2010

wintering along


Another weekend, and even though I noticed the early dark, there was a rectangle of sunlight on my wall mid-afternoon that made me happy. It's still ridiculously cold and I nearly got frostbite Friday night when I was putting packages in the blue mail box on the corner without my gloves. The lake has taken to being churny and brown-grey with enormous and impressive waves. Luckily, I have a new, cozy, tailored black wool coat, that is not so drafty and holey as my old gray one. Still, I am fortifying myself with near daily hazelnut hot chocolate and trying to make the best of it.

The holiday shop rush is slowly winding down, and even though it had me in hysterics earlier in the week, the last batch of pre-Christmas arrivals will be going out Monday morning. After that, all bets are off. It was doozie, triple my usual business and I am exhausted. This weekend has been devoted to making Christmas gifts for the people on my list, reading in bed, and having odd continuous dreams that continue even after I wake up to move a cat off my head or re-arrange the pillows. I spent last night watching movies (Black Christmas, which seems far more disturbing now than when I saw it as a teenageer) and Two Days in Paris (I heart Julie Delpy ever since Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset, and this almost felt like her continuation of those films but without the annoyance of Ethan Hawke).

This week I will be getting the remainder of book orders out, as well as the latest batch of copies to subscribers. I also want to give you at least a sneak peak of the books ready that will be coming right after the new year (titles by Britanny Ober, Jules Gibbs, JoAnna Novak, Emilie Beth Lindemann & more as I finish the layouts I am dreadfully behind on, even more so since December was so crazy in other respects), as well as finish up selections for the 2011/2012 season of books. I made it down to the last 20 Friday and realized I was just too poetry-jaded to continue, so hopefully I can look at them with fresh eyes on Monday and get my decisions out before I head out of town.

No comments: