Wednesday, May 14, 2008

*sigh*


new in the shop...

I am, sadly, behind on just about everything, so bear with me.

There is the spring wicked alice, a couple chaps a bit behind schedule, and no doubt several things I’ve flagged in my e-mail and forgotten about…so feel free to nudge me …

Instead of working on these things I’ve been battling a love/hate relationship with etsy, trying new sites, building a website, deleting a website, trying new approaches to no avail. Last week, they basically hid vintage items rather trickily in the search, all based on some rather vocal whining by strictly handmade sellers who apparently have a problem with vintage (and supplies) being on the site. The result was catastrophic for a lot of vintage shops (one clothing shop like a 90% drop), and seriously punched a hole in my sales (I only have some vintage in my shop, but it’s a big seller.) Thus also, letting the air, temporarily out of my dream of maybe, if I work my ass off, doing all this poetry, editing, art & craft stuff full-time at some not too distant point in the future. It was a possibility two weeks ago, not so much anymore given the slowdown…I’m looking for ways to regroup., and even considered leaving etsy , had to stay away from the forums all weekend lest I say something bitchy and get banned. I even had another shop in the process of set up elsewhere, but in no way would it get the sort of traffic etsy does. I'm just scared they'll eventually push it out altogether, or split the site. But I’ve decided to dig my heels in, partly because I love etsy, shopping and selling, and it works for me most of the time, and, honestly, partly out of spite for the people who want to drive vintage & supplies out. I have a sexy new banner, some awesome to new thriftstore goodies (eek!), and I’m not going ANYWHERE…



In cheerier news, I am so psyched to know that some of our little billet-doux's are gracing the inventory at jan & aya in NYC . I hadn't yet visited their site until this afternoon, and the place looks rather lovely (and they have cake!!) If you're up around those parts, definitely stop in. If not, you can still get one from us--there are about 20 or so left, but once they're gone, they're gone for good...

This weekends plans are making stuff for Handmade, which is moving out of the bar and into the Chicago Antique Market through September. We'll be there Memorial Day weekend and in July and September with books and other fine loveliness...

3 comments:

kirsten said...

and finishing wicked alice
:nudge:

kristy bowen said...

that will hopefully be done Friday, never fear...:)

Ana said...

I'm so sorry to hear about etsy, I was wondering why they changed things, now I see...unfair to say the least. Your shop is beautiful, I found myself just starring at everything, so lovely. I'm off to read your the rest of your blog.