Wednesday, December 20, 2006

making lists

my favorite Christmas songs:

"River" not really a Christmas song, but it references Christmas and I love Joni Mitchell.

"Please Come Home for Christmas": various versions of this, from everyone from the Eagles to Bon Jovi.

"All I Want for Christmas is You" Despite my dislike of Mariah Carey, this song makes me happy.

"Carol of the Bells" Haunting--could double as a horror movie soundtrack in some interpretations..

"Hard Candy Christmas" Dolly Parton and the other girls in the "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" --this one rips my heart out everytime..


Honorable Mention: "The Little Christmas tree" or I think that's what it's called. About a straggly little unwanted tree. This was on a Disney record I had a kid, and apparently I would make my mother play it over and over again while I stood crying in the living room...such a sucker for drama...

4 comments:

Sara said...

I feel exactly the same way about Mariah Carey AND "All I Want For Christmas Is You!" I think the only one of my favorites you're missing is "So this is Christmas"

Brandi said...

Eeks, those are my top 3 too! I love sad Christmas songs... add Elvis' "Blue Christmas" and I'm all set ;)

michi said...

mine's "fairytale of new york" - pogues with kirsty maccoll.

and "river". such a beautiful song.

happy holidays,

m

Chad Simpson said...

I'm all about Pearl Jam's "Let Me Sleep (It's Christmastime)," Prince's "Another Lonely Christmas," and a number of songs on the new Sufjan Stevens album, especially "Sister Winter."

I'm a big fan of your work, and I'm looking forward to reading more.