Thursday, May 25, 2006

Since dgp is releasing not one, but two books in the next month or so, Sarah Gardner's How to Study Birds and Robyn Art's Vestigial Portions of the Dead Sea Scrolls, time is in short supply, so I'm holding off the release of my own little project, archer avenue (aka the Resurrection Mary poems) until July when I'm doing the print annual. Though it's only a wee little 16 pages, it still will take more time to print and assemble than I have. I'll likely just give them away or offer trades since I've gotta save my shameless self-promotion energy for November and the book.

Since the inbox is positively filling up with manuscripts (I suspect the culprit may be a listing on the crwopps list) it's going to be harder than ever this year to choose among them. Already I have more manuscripts in two months than we had the entire reading period last year. I'm planning for six books next year--ideally 3 from the open submissions and three solicited. This year it was five from the pile and two solicited. After next year, we may have to do some downsizing when our lovely editor has to start repaying her student loans, but we'll worry about that then. Now it's piece by piece. Yesterday, I got a $300 check for teaching the web workshop in April at CPL, and I have my eye on one of ten sweet $2,000 Columbia Staff Arts Awards in the fall.

This weekend, I'm off to my parent's house for the weekend, so I'm not counting on getting anything productive accomplished. I'm not even taking any books with me...well, maybe a notebook...and one book....and maybe a file with my manuscript...
and a pen...

No comments: