Friday, October 07, 2005

Despite my regular bitching about open admissions and the stunning stupidity of the some of the patrons, sometimes I feel really good that I work in such a cool, creative place. You can't turn around and there's not something going on--an architecture lecture series, photography exhibits, gallery walks, concerts, plays, film festivals. Not only a wealth of talent among our student workers but my co-workers as well. While some of them fall into condescending, commitee-loving, myopic librarians, others are actually pretty cool. Among the "non-professionals" alone we have a couple of painters, a photographer/filmmaker, a fashion/graphic designer (who just happens to be designing dgp's next chapbook cover), and circ manager who makes odd and cool sculpture projects. One of our librarians is an awesome book artist. I'm not sure I could stand working in a terrible corporate job where there wasn't that freedom, that undercurrent of artsiness. I mean where else would I get to enroll in MFA classes at a 50% discount, or get to take occasional summer workshops down at the Book and Paper Center. Or have such a wealth of resources available at my fingertips. Pretty freakin cool.

Plus, between myself and two of the student workers, we actually have three poets working in the library this semester...

1 comment:

Anne Haines said...

I work in a university library too, and love it for a lot of those reasons. Plus, if I say I'm going to take a week off so I can devote time to reading and writing (or for a summer workshop), the people I work with think that's really cool -- as opposed to the people where I used to work, who'd look at me funny and wonder why I didn't want to go to Disney World instead.